Each year, Aloha United Way provides Safety Net funding to agencies working to provide basic human needs and support people experiencing crisis. In 2020, we have invested $1 million into 30 programs that are working in the following five areas of need:
Provides a broad range of assistance for individuals and families experiencing crisis with a goal of returning the household to stability. The category includes medical care, mental health services, substance abuse treatment, family violence services and community disaster response provided as one-time or short-term assistance, but may also include ongoing counseling, case management or care coordination.
• American National Red Cross - Disaster Preparedness & Response
• Catholic Charities Hawaii - Intake, Information, and Referral
• Helping Hands Hawaii - Community Clearinghouse
• The Institute for Human Services - Health Services Program
• Project Vision Hawaii - HiEHiE Mobile Hygiene Project
• Waikiki Community Center - Senior Case Coordination
• Waikiki Health - Youth Outreach Program
Provides access to food pantries, food banks, food delivery services and served meals programs.
• Aloha Harvest - Rescuing Food to Feed Oahu's Hungry
• Gregory House Programs - Save the Food Basket
• Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services - Food Pantry for Elders
• Lanakila Pacific - Lanakila Meals on Wheels
• St. Francis Healthcare Foundation of Hawaii, Our Lady of Kea'au - Outreach Program Feeding the Homeless Living Along the Waianae Coast
• Susannah Wesley Community Center - Food Pantry
• Waianae District Comprehensive Health and Hospital Board - Hanai Ai O Wai’anae
• YMCA of Honolulu - Year Round Meals Program
Provides rent (or mortgage) and utility financial assistance. Agencies may pay rent, security deposit, mortgage, and utility expenses to landlords or providers on behalf of eligible clients.
• Domestic Violence Action Center - Emergency Rent and Utilities Payments for Survivor Families
• Helping Hands Hawaii - Emergency Assistance Program
• The Salvation Army Hawaiian & Pacific Islands Division - Family Services Office – Homeless
• Waimanalo Health Center - Hale Kokua Rent & Mortgage Assistance Program
Provides housing and related support services including emergency, transitional, and permanent housing.
• Family Promise of Hawaii - Emergency Shelter for Keiki Experiencing Homelessness
• Hale Kipa - Shelter Programs
• The Institute for Human Services - Kaaahi Family Shelter
• Mental Health Kokua - Safe Haven
• Residential Youth Services & Empowerment - Outreach and Access Center Services
• The Mediation Center of the Pacific - Early Access Landlord-Tenant Mediation
• United States Veterans Initiative - Hawaii (U.S. Vets) - Emergency and Transitional Housing for Homeless and At-Risk Veterans and Families
• Women in Need (WIN) - Bridge to Success
• YWCA O'ahu - Fernhurst
5. 2020-2022 Two-year Grants
Supports startup or pilot programs; programs/services with a higher degree of complexity; initiatives with a greater number of stakeholders or partners; initiatives that require substantial time planning; and new programs that are projected to be financially self-sustaining after the initial two years.
• Aloha Medical Mission - Emergen Teeth
• Domestic Violence Action Center - Hope Hale - Transitional Housing for Domestic Violence Survivors